This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Reading from Sunday, December 19

Hey dudes.

The last post generated a lot of feedback and comments from friends - for these I am truly grateful. While I still am struggling to figure out my own beliefs, it's inspiring to read your stories and statements of faith.

On to the reading...

Reading for December 19
Zephaniah 1:1-3:20
You know, I always get the sense that God's punishment on people, especially in the Old Testament, is due to some sort of perceived blasphemy. In other words - someone not following a ritual correctly or saying the wrong thing or whatever. But I think in most cases, God's punishment only comes in extreme circumstances.

Zephaniah, like all these other end-of-the-Old-Testament books, is filled with images of divine destruction on all nations. This book is written from God's perspective and he lays it out - again - for everyone, saving Jerusalem for last...

1 Woe to the city of oppressors,
   rebellious and defiled!
2 She obeys no one,
   she accepts no correction.
She does not trust in the LORD,
   she does not draw near to her God.
3 Her officials within her
   are roaring lions;
her rulers are evening wolves,
   who leave nothing for the morning.
Now most of that seems like they are being punished for simply rubbing God the wrong way, but look at the very first verse there. "City of oppressors". God cannot be oppressed - who can be? The weak? The poor? The outcasts? Yup.

I may be reading way too much into that singular word, but I think God was speaking up for the people who felt like outsiders in their own city - just like Jesus did only a short time later. God continues his rallying cry for these people at the end of the book.
19 At that time I will deal
   with all who oppressed you.
I will rescue the lame;
   I will gather the exiles.
I will give them praise and honor

   in every land where they have suffered shame.
20 At that time I will gather you;
   at that time I will bring you home.
I will give you honor and praise
   among all the peoples of the earth
when I restore your fortunes[l]
   before your very eyes,”
            says the LORD.

Revelation 10:1-11

This entire reading focuses on this one quote from one of the angels in this vision:

“There will be no more delay! 7 But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.”
I thought the mystery of God was the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. I certainly could be wrong though...

Psalm 138:1-8

Boom
 6 Though the LORD is exalted, he looks kindly on the lowly;
   though lofty, he sees them from afar.

Proverbs 30:11-14

 11 “There are those who curse their fathers
   and do not bless their mothers;
12 those who are pure in their own eyes
   and yet are not cleansed of their filth;
13 those whose eyes are ever so haughty,
   whose glances are so disdainful;
14 those whose teeth are swords
   and whose jaws are set with knives
to devour the poor from the earth
   and the needy from among mankind. 

Once again speaking out for the outcasts...

2 comments:

  1. “There will be no more delay! 7 But in the days when the seventh angel is about to sound his trumpet, the mystery of God will be accomplished, just as he announced to his servants the prophets.”

    I thought the mystery of God was the life, death and resurrection of Jesus. I certainly could be wrong though...

    no, you are Correct! When you read Rev. Ch. 12, you are not reading about the future. You are reading about Mary and Jesus.

    Revelation is NOT just about the future, although it is too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, all very confusing... I'm far from an authority on it, so I'm tyring to wrap around all of it myself. But yeah, the book seems to use imagery not to just talk about the far future in end tiems, but also both events that are in the enar future and events that have already taken place.

    The closest analogy in terms of literary style is, again, Daniel.

    ReplyDelete