This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Reading from Monday, December 6

Hoo boy. It has been a while. Jilly and I moved earlier in the week and between the craziness of moving and the wait to get the internet set up, it's been a little tough to getting around to posting. But now I'm back and ready for action.

I want to get right back into it with a controversial article written by comedian Ricky Gervais called "Why I'm an Atheist" Its a well written piece that doesn't shake a disapproving finger or condemn others for their belief. But perhaps the line that hit me hardest was this one
Why don’t I believe in God? No, no no, why do YOU believe in God? Surely the burden of proof is on the believer.
Yes, exactly. This is what I've been struggling with myself. In fact, I even mentioned this idea in the documentary post from a few months back.  I hope to prove and validate my own faith through the stories of other believers. Ricky had a few other interesting things to chew on as well.
I loved Jesus. He was my hero. More than pop stars. More than footballers. More than God. God was by definition omnipotent and perfect. Jesus was a man. He had to work at it. He had temptation but defeated sin. He had integrity and courage. But He was my hero because He was kind. And He was kind to everyone. He didn’t bow to peer pressure or tyranny or cruelty. He didn’t care who you were. He loved you. What a guy. I wanted to be just like Him.
I love this description of Jesus. It's so spot on to who he was and how he was different and unique from God.  His last paragraph really sold his philosophy, though.
“Do unto others…” is a good rule of thumb. I live by that. Forgiveness is probably the greatest virtue there is. But that’s exactly what it is -­‐ a virtue. Not just a Christian virtue. No one owns being good. I’m good. I just don’t believe I’ll be rewarded for it in heaven. My reward is here and now. It’s knowing that I try to do the right thing. That I lived a good life. And that’s where spirituality really lost its way. When it became a stick to beat people with. “Do this or you’ll burn in hell.”
You won’t burn in hell. But be nice anyway.
It's true. Morality isn't exclusive to Christianity, and I also subscribe to the belief that we shouldn't be saving all our chips for Heaven. We should live this life and experience it to the fullest, because no matter how devout and faithful you are - you can't deny the possibility of there actually being nothing after death. So why waste this life if there is a possibility there won't be another one?

Anyway, you can read his full atheist story here, and I would recommend it. Non-Christians, it's really interesting; Christians, take it as a challenge to your faith to think through and work out.

OK. Back to the Bible.

Reading for December 6
Hosea 4:1-5:15
Hosea is very much about God's "laying it out on the table". Basically giving Israel a full out performance review - and they didn't do well. After telling them how broken they are, God drops this pearl of wisdom on his people
 4 “But let no one bring a charge,
   let no one accuse another,
for your people are like those
   who bring charges against a priest.
This is a command that we still seem to forget as Christians. "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." Jesus and God both encouraged us not to rat each other out. Not to picket outside funerals of fallen veterans. Not to tell someone that they're lifestyle can be "cured". Would you feel OK if someone told you, "Your Nationality is wrong and immoral, but don't worry, we can change you."?

Let no one accuse another.

No one.

2 John 1:1-13

2 John is only one chapter, and it appears to be a letter to a specific woman. Well this Biblical author had only one chapter to convey any message he wanted to about Christianity, which one did he choose? Love.
I ask that we love one another. 6 And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love. 


His command is that you walk in love. His command is for us to love one another. This is the overarching message of Christianity. Love one another because we have been greatly loved.

Psalm 125:1-5

A comforting image:

2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem,
   so the LORD surrounds his people
   both now and forevermore.
Proverbs 29:9-11

These proverbs are all fairly self explanitory...
 9 If a wise person goes to court with a fool,
   the fool rages and scoffs, and there is no peace.
 10 The bloodthirsty hate a person of integrity
   and seek to kill the upright.
 11 Fools give full vent to their rage,
   but the wise bring calm in the end.

What what. Hit up the comments and let me know your thoughts on the Ricky Gervais thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment