This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Reading from Sunday, December 5

Hey buds.

Reading for December 5
Hosea 1:1-3:5
Hosea's life represents the relationship between God and Israel. God commanded Hosea to marry a prostitute and have children with her. Each child they had together, God provided the name. The first was named Jezreel and here's why God chose that name:

because I will soon punish the house of Jehu for the massacre at Jezreel, and I will put an end to the kingdom of Israel.
The second child was named Lo-Ruhamah which means "not loved". Here's why a child was cursed with such a terrible name:
for I will no longer show love to Israel, that I should at all forgive them.
The third and final child was named Lo-Ammi, which means "not my people"
for you are not my people, and I am not your God.
During this time, it appears that Hosea's wife was continuing in her adulterous ways and having sex with other men which obviously put a strain on the marriage. God commanded Hosea to make up with her and love her as God loves Israel. Here's what Hosea said to his wife:
“You are to live with me many days; you must not be a prostitute or be intimate with any man, and I will behave the same way toward you.”
Through Hosea, God was showing what had happened to the relationship between God and his people. God had chosen an adulterous people to lead. They consistently turned away again and again, but he continued coming back, desperately wanting this relationship with them. And he made the agreement, just as Hosea and his wife did to remain "exclusive" with each other. 

1 John 5:1-21

This is something extremely important about prayer:

14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
God will answer our prayers, AS LONG AS it fits in with his will. I realize that is a huge loophole in the idea of answered prayer, but at the same time, there are things that God clearly does not want for us. God doesn't want us to have a $200,000 sports car. God doesn't want us to go and have sex with hundreds of people. God probably doesn't want us winning the lottery - especially people who already have the means to live on their own. So praying for those things is meaningless.

The gray area comes in with the health of a family member. The status of a broken relationship. The existence of a job to support one's family. These are things that gone unanswered can be chalked up to "not part of God's plan". Many times I have taken this route of thinking and months later seen the ultimately beneficial result of things not happening the way I wanted, but other times you're left perplexed. Why, for example, did our three week old puppy have to die, even after praying it would live?

What's the consensus on this? Does prayer matter at all?

Psalm 124:1-8

8 Our help is in the name of the LORD,
   the Maker of heaven and earth.

Proverbs 29:5-8

 5 Those who flatter their neighbors
   are spreading nets for their feet.
 6 Evildoers are snared by their own sin,
   but the righteous shout for joy and are glad.
 7 The righteous care about justice for the poor,
   but the wicked have no such concern.
 8 Mockers stir up a city,
   but the wise turn away anger.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Brandon, my name is John. I read a lot of blogs on religion and prayer and I've i feel like I've ended up here once before. I'd love to hear your thoughts about this prayer exchange website PrayerMarket.com I thought it was an interesting idea and would be curious to hear what you (or other Christians) think about it

    I'll check back here in the next day or two, thanks & God bless
    John W.

    ReplyDelete