This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Sunday, August 15

Had a nice lazy, rainy Sunday with the wife and the pup.

Reading for August 15
Nehemiah 9:22-10:39
Here we are seeing a real realignment from the Israelites. Under the guidance of Ezra (who I think is delivering the powerful prayer in this reading) they are headed to a place where they have really never been: in a fully committed relationship with God. Ezra speaks with God frankly and honestly in this prayer - talking about how these people abandoned him time and again, he would punish them, and then rescue them from said punishment when they began to cry out.

He goes on to make many promises to God about how the Israelites will finally turn from their rebellious ways and really start worshiping God. They actually draw up a contract and have all the leaders of each tribe sign it.

I really haven't read too much into what happens after this, so this could very well be a significant turning point in Israel's history. Or perhaps this could be the fulcrum of when they turn in the opposite direction and we get the super religious Jews that are present during Jesus' time. Who knows how it plays out? Well, actually I would imagine a lot of people do know. But don't spoil it for me, I'm excited to see what happens.

On a somewhat related note, I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. Don't spoil those for me either.

1 Corinthians 9:19-10:13

Here again, Paul is telling us that the stories of the Old Testament occurred as examples for us to learn how to live today. Again, I am slightly put off by the fact that God killed people to make a point so I could live in comfort and plenty. I mean, I'm thankful that I wasn't the example, but still it doesn't seem right.

I know these details aren't the things I should be dwelling on, but rather the message is the real focus. I just have a hard time with things like that though. I won't keep beating this idea to death - I've talked about it enough.

Psalm 34:1-10

One of the first questions I had when I started this project was "what does it mean to fear God?" I think I've got a pretty good understanding of what that is now, but I haven't thought about it in a while. So many other issues and questions have been taking up my brain that it hasn't really been a priority in my thoughts. Here though is a verse that reminds me to continue searching for answers about this important question:

9 Fear the LORD, you his saints,
       for those who fear him lack nothing.
The statement "those who fear him lack nothing" is a complicated one. Fearing God is not a simple choice. It's not like saying, "Those who ate chicken for dinner lack nothing." As I've come to discover for myself, fearing God is something you need to work up to. I think what David is saying here is that once you fear God, you have reached a very good place in your faith. You understand the relationship and what is expected from you, and also what you can expect from God to an extent. You know your history and you know the power God wields, and that he could decide to use that power in whatever way he sees fit at whatever time he chooses.

If you have a proper fear of God, you also likely have a fairly strong faith. Essentially, you can't fear something that you don't believe in. Nor could you fear something that you believe is only out for your welfare.

Huh - that raises an interesting question. Who is God looking out for? Surely he loves us and protects us, but are we his highest priority? Does he have stockholders and investors to report to? Does he have to bring up his year-over-year profits? Does God trade publicly on the Dow?

All kidding aside, I don't think God is out for any one of us individually but he is out for us as a whole. And if that's the case, there can be certain time when sacrifices need to be made. Our fear of him should come from the idea that we might be sacrificed for the greater good of humanity.

Wow, I sound like a crazy person.

Proverbs 21:13

 13 If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor,
       he too will cry out and not be answered.

A message I need to hear.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment