This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Saturday, August 14

Hey ho. Jilly and I just got back from a wedding. If you know me well, you know I have a tendency to spill things on my clothes. Well tonight I wore a white shirt with a black tie - almost taunting the spill gods. I made it 90% of the way through the wedding with no incident - I even had pasta and ice cream. Then ten minutes before we walked out the door, I spilled an entire cup of coffee on myself. White shirt and all.

The streak continues...

Reading for August 14
Nehemiah 7:73-9:21
So now that Jerusalem is well on it's way to recovery, the next step is to recover the people themselves. The Israelites celebrated Passover for seven days with great joy, and then on the eighth day, there was an assembly. While everyone was gathered together, Ezra began reading from the book of law (which I think is the first five or so books of the OT) and he read all day every day for about a week. When he had finished, the people joined together in a prayer of repentance - confessing their sins, and confessing the sins of their forefathers.

Up until this point, whenever Israel had a change of heart and turned back to God, it was always in a time of crisis - when they really needed God to step in and help them out. Now they come to him broken, humbled and honest. They have realized how sinful their nation had been and were earnestly confessing those sins. In this example, we are shown a dynamic that still occurs today.

Many people today, like the Israelites, turn to God in times of crisis. When a loved one becomes sick or dies. When you, yourself contract a fatal or life threatening disease. People will turn to God in these instances, and I'm not at all saying that's wrong. Things like that are too heavy for us to deal with alone. So even if God doesn't exist, and let's say he doesn't for the moment for the sake of argument, even the idea of something more powerful than anything on this planet brings solace to people. Whether that thing is good or bad, if it will listen to you, and possibly answer you, it's intriguing to say the least. But I think what happens is that relationship between the emotionally distraught person and God is one sided. The person only seeks God's power to turn something around in their life. This doesn't set up a strong foundation for long-haul type faith.

It's only when someone is truly humbled and broken, like the Israelites we read about here, that someone can come to God and begin to kindle a relationship. I've never really hit "ground zero" for me, so I've never experienced that deep humility that comes from something like the destruction of one's city. Some may say that I'm lucky, and indeed I count myself lucky and blessed that I've never had to "walk through the fire" so to speak, but 1) that makes me more afraid of one day when I will have to do that and 2) it has never put me in that humble position that seems to be the most direct route to a solid foundation of a relationship with God.

If any of you reading this who became believers in a time of crisis or uncertainty, I would challenge you to explore your faith a little more. See what else is there - pray and ask around. Find a sweet church like this one and just take a little while to prod it a little. You may be surprised at what comes out.

1 Corinthians 9:1-18


This chapter is fairly personal for Paul. He is talking about how a farmer makes his living off his farm, someone who works at an altar shares in what is offered, in the same way a preacher should make his living from preaching. Paul rejects this idea and says that he is offering all of his preaching for free because he is compelled to do so.

I was thinking tonight - I met someone at this wedding who asked me to take pictures at an event she's having. As I sat and thought about what my hourly rate should be when I'm a professional photographer, I came up with this idea: "What if I just offered free photography for everyone?" That would be such a cool service. Granted, I would need new gear and stuff, and would need to self finance, but maybe I could offer free photography to those who can't afford it, and charge people who can afford it whatever they want to pay. Although people who can afford to pay me would probably use a better photographer.


I don't know - just an idea - what do you think?

Psalm 33:12-22

Beautiful
 13 From heaven the LORD looks down
       and sees all mankind;
 14 from his dwelling place he watches
       all who live on earth-
 15 he who forms the hearts of all,
       who considers everything they do.

Proverbs 21:11-12

 11 When a mocker is punished, the simple gain wisdom;
       when a wise man is instructed, he gets knowledge.
 12 The Righteous One [a] takes note of the house of the wicked
       and brings the wicked to ruin.

Yessir, goodnight.

 

2 comments:

  1. What I like about what Paul says is that he defends preachers who have to get paid for their services, while saying that he personally does not because he feel he can preach the gospel better.

    It's not an either/or, and its relevant for today. There are some churches that have to pay their preachers for all their living expenses, and some churches where the pastors work a separate job.

    So I don't think it is wrong at all for you to charge for your services.

    In fact, if you genuinely believe that the money you can get from a needed service like photography will be used for God's purposes, it might actually be better and more faithful to charge traditionally.

    At the same time, if you are in the position to give away photography, that is awesome too.

    Maybe you should consult with Pete Andrews, who does both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both, with music, that is.

    ReplyDelete