This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Monday, February 15

Ugh...It's only 10:40 and I'm already so sleepy...I hate to BS an entry, but I just need to get this done before I fall asleep...

Reading for February 15
Exodus 39:1-40:38
OK - I see the point of all these details. The author of Exodus - which is in fact, Moses - repeats a key phrase at the end of each section of text. And that phrase is "just as the LORD had commanded him". So perhaps its not the actual details that are important, but rather the fact that Moses and the Israelites obeyed God without question. God asked them to build a tent that he would live in when he comes to the earth in cloud form - they build it. No questions asked. I mean, I would have a few questions if I was tasked with that assignment, wouldn't you?

But that's exactly what they do. Then God actually does come down to earth in cloud form. And when this holy cloud rests over the Tabernacle, the people are to stay put - but when the cloud begins to move, the people follow it. Why does God take so many different forms when he comes to earth? Why not have some consistency? Maybe he's just bored and these different forms are like his wardrobe choices for the day. 

Mark 1:1-28

Holy crap. I finished another book! Matthew is complete! YES! That's two completed books so far...alright - onward to Mark.

Man - Mark doesn't mess around. For those who may not know, the four book Matthew Mark Luke and John are all the story of Jesus, just told from different perspectives and penned by different authors. I never really pondered why it is set up this way - maybe because his life and teaching is of such significance that you would want to hear different perspectives. It's like when a major news story happens, you tune into as many different media sources as you can to try to get the most detail possible.

Alright - so the reading. People always say that the book of Mark reads like an action novel. I'm not sure about that specific term, but Mark does move through the key points very quickly. In the first chapter we see:

  • John the Baptist baptizing Jesus
  • Jesus going into the desert and being tempted for the forty days
  • Jesus calling his disciples
  • Jesus beginning his ministry
All of that happens in chapter 1. There is no Christmas story in Mark - no account of his birth or of Mary and Joseph. Interesting. As far as I know the details written, however, are all details from Matthew, so no other huge revelations unfortunately...

Psalm 35:1-16

David does a little loving thine enemy here. Check it:
 11 Malicious witnesses testify against me.
      They accuse me of crimes I know nothing about.
 12 They repay me evil for good.
      I am sick with despair.
 13 Yet when they were ill, I grieved for them.
      I denied myself by fasting for them,
      but my prayers returned unanswered.
 14 I was sad, as though they were my friends or family,
      as if I were grieving for my own mother.
How very un-Old Testament of you, David.

Proverbs 9:11-12

Simple advice is twice as nice.

 11 Wisdom will multiply your days
      and add years to your life.
 12 If you become wise, you will be the one to benefit.
      If you scorn wisdom, you will be the one to suffer.


Buhhh...sleep...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment