This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Thursday, January 21

End of the work day. I am in the purgutory between work and my intramural basketball game tonight. Everyone has left the office, and I thought "hey - this would be a great time to write the old blog entry." So I've got pandora rolling in the background - WITHOUT my headphones on - enjoying the music through my speakers. That's right! Don't tell me what to do!

So I'm almost two weeks into this project, and I think now would be a good time to assess if reading the Bible every day has affected the way I interact with people. Here's what I've noticed:

1) Everyone I tell about this project automatically perks up and asks one of their lingering questions about the Bible. I usually don't have an answer for them because I just started, but it has led to some great conversations.
2) I've felt "friendlier". I don't know, I have a stronger compulsion to smile and say hello to people as I pass them in the halls of my office.
3) My relationship with my wife, Jill is at one of its highest points I can remember. I feel like we've hit an extemely smooth patch and I love her more and more every day. And I haven't even got to the part in the Bible that focuses on marriage...weird.

For my friends and family who know me - have you noticed any changes in the past two weeks?

Alright, on to today's reading: (Poop - Jill asked me to add that)

Reading for January 21

Genesis 42:18-43:34
The Joseph story continues

So Joseph lets his brothers out of prison to return and get Benjamin. He says “I am a God-fearing man. If you do as I say, you will live."

He sells them the grain they came for but before sending them on their way back to Canaan to get Benjamin, he tells his workers to put the money they paid for the grain in the top of the sacks of grain they received. They find the money on the journey home and are terrified, asking "What has God done to us?"

Another example of fearing God only a few verses later. They must have thought they were being framed for taking the money, or surely that they would be accused of taking the money. They say that they are being punished for selling Joseph into slavery all those years ago (God's punishment takes time too, eh?)

Eventually, they returned to their father, Isaac's house and told them they needed to take Benjamin along with them back to Egypt. Isaac reluctantly agrees and they return to meet Joseph. Joseph still hasn't given away that he is actually their brother. He see Benjamin and has to retreat to a back room because he is so overcome with emotion. He composes himself and then has a huge feast with all of his brothers. His brothers are still kind of wary of what is going on, but are happy to not be in trouble for the whole money-in-the-bag thing.

Matthew 13:47-14:12
The parable of the fishing net

This is very similar to the parable of the wheat and weeds. Jesus says:
 47 “Again, the Kingdom of Heaven is like a fishing net that was thrown into the water and caught fish of every kind. 48 When the net was full, they dragged it up onto the shore, sat down, and sorted the good fish into crates, but threw the bad ones away. "
What I like about this is that "The Kingdom of God" includes all the people who he says will be thrown into Hell at judgment day. I think this ties back to the creation story to say that we are all God's people, and that he loves and cares for all of us, even if we don't know it. So while we are on Earth, we are ALL under the loving grace of God. Until judgment day - when Arnold Schwartenegger comes out and blows all the bad ones away. Oh wait...

Jesus comes home
Jesus returns to Nazareth, his hometown to preach the message. People are impressed, but then realize that they know his mother, father, bros and sisters - and they say "How could this guy possibly be this smart? His family is pretty ordinary..." So Jesus "only did a few miracles" and then left. I like how that's kinda just nonchalant. I'd like to do "only a few miracles" some time...

John the Baptist Decapitated
Here is another clear example of free-will working against God's will. Some babe did a dance for King Herod and he was happy with it, so he told her she could have anything she wanted. She wanted John the Baptist's head on a platter. And she got it. John the Baptist was clearly a Godly man, he was like the pre-Jesus. And then he goes out like that. Didn't someone else really Godly go out in a not so good way...oh...yeah...

Psalm 18:16-36
This one is purely praise and once again there is some beautiful imagery about God being a protector and helping us to do all things through Him.
28 You light a lamp for me.
      The Lord, my God, lights up my darkness.
 29 In your strength I can crush an army;
      with my God I can scale any wall.
I imagine if I was an ultimate fighter, I would read this psalm before every fight.

Proverbs 4:7-10
OK - I get it...wisdom is awesome.

I suppose that it really must be important for God for us to learn if Solomon is putting this much emphasis on it.

Alright - goodnight.

Dear God. I have missed the prayer for the last two days, and I apologize for that. I ask that you give me strength to continue doing this project and let it affect the way I live. God I pray for your continued blessings on the victims of the Haiti earthquake. Please pour out your mercy on those suffering.


In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment