This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Reading for Thursday, November 25

Welcome, Daniel.

Reading for November 25
Daniel 1:1-2:23
Sweet. We got some new narrative in Daniel. It appears that the events of Daniel take place shortly after Jerusalem's fall. Some Jews are in exile, while others were held captive by the king of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar. David and three of his friends were in the second category.

King Nebby has his officials gather up all the wisest and strongest Israelites to serve in his court. Four of these are Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, Azariah whom all had their names changed by Nebby K. to Belteshazzar, Shadrach Meshach, Abednego respectively. Let's keep it simple though and call them Dan, Rack, Shack and Benny.

King Nebby has been having dreams and can't figure out what they mean. He calls upon all the magicians and fortune tellers in his employ to help him interpret these dreams and they say "Hey, we can't do that. No one can - only gods are able to decipher dreams." At this, King Neb freaks and orders the death of everyone ever. Daniel hears about this decree and goes to the King to see if he can help him figure out these dreams.

That's where this reading ends, but I know there's a solid story here. Who's excited for part 2? Me.

1 Peter 3:8-4:6

Following up on the idea of suffering for doing good:

14 But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. “Do not fear their threats[b]; do not be frightened.”[c] 15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16 keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
I have never been one to wear my faith on my sleeve. I try to act according to the way I've learned to act through reading the Bible, and hope that people see that as something unique. If someone asks me about it, I'm more than happy to talk about my faith. Excited even. But I always try to do it without disparaging another's beliefs. I usually just say "yeah this is what I believe and this is what works for me." I've never believed that beating people over the head with your faith was any way to spread the message of Christ. "And they'll know we are Christians by our love." 

Psalm 119:65-80

71 It was good for me to be afflicted
   so that I might learn your decrees.

Again, extremely wise way of thinking.

Proverbs 28:14

 14 Blessed is the one who always trembles before God,
   but whoever hardens their heart falls into trouble. 

Sweet cuppin cakes, yo.

No comments:

Post a Comment