This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Reading from Friday, September 10

Hey hey. Lazy Sunday has culminated in a very sleepy, last ditch effort to get at least one post done today. Apologies in advance for laziness in this post.

Reading for September 10
Isaiah 6:1-7:25
There is a prophecy about Jesus in this section that is very specific, but it contains details that aren't familiar to me. So I'm not sure if the prophecy was incorrect, or if my ignorance is holding me back. Here is the statement:

13 Then Isaiah said, "Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of men? Will you try the patience of my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you [d] a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and [e] will call him Immanuel. [f] 15 He will eat curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right. 16 But before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The LORD will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria."
Aside from the virgin birth, I don't remember anything about Jesus eating curds or the king of Assyria or anything like that in the gospels. Who's smarter than me who can answer these things? 

2 Corinthians 11:16-33


In this section, Paul boasts or brags about his many hardships. He talks about how he was shipwreked, imprisoned, beaten, deceived, tortured, stranded and various other things that have happened to him. He says

30If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.
It's an interesting idea - bragging to one another about sacrifices and hardships you've gone through - who had it worse so to speak. But then it's still a pissing contest. I think one of the main reasons that boasting is discouraged is because of the comparative rivalry is causes in our minds. We focus on how someone has done something so much better, or in this case, worse than us. And then we have to one up them - completely defeating the purpose of being humble in Christ. 

I guess it beats bragging about how big your hubcaps are.

Psalm 54:1-7


Hope.

 3 Strangers are attacking me;
       ruthless men seek my life—
       men without regard for God.
       Selah
 4 Surely God is my help;
       the Lord is the one who sustains me.

Proverbs 23:1-3

This is an interesting one:

 1 When you sit to dine with a ruler,
       note well what [a] is before you,
 2 and put a knife to your throat
       if you are given to gluttony.
 3 Do not crave his delicacies,
       for that food is deceptive.
Whatchu guys make of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment