This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Reading from Tuesday, July 13

Hot dog! This is the fourth post in one day. I don't think I've done this many since I started the project back in January. Hopefully the quality hasn't suffered too much. I am running out of interesting stuff to write about in these intros though. So think of something funny. Now think of something else funny. Haha, wasn't that great? Now think of something thought provoking. Hmm...that's a good point.

Reading for July 13
1 Chronicles 15:1-16:36

One of the Psalms of David is recorded here, which I think is the same one that is recorded in one of the earlier books. Honestly, I just skimmed it because I feel like I'd already read it. Also, this is entry number four for the day and I'm getting bored. Sorry guys. Total disclosure.

Romans 1:18-32

OK - this is the condemn-y bit I was talking about. Paul begins preaching against those who are not living according to the will of God, or as he puts it, people who "suppress the truth by their wickedness".

Now, a couple of things. First off the people to whom he is preaching are people that he knows personally. He spent a lot of time with them and likely knew many of them by name. What I'm getting at is that he is not condemning a group of people just based on a trait or characteristic about that person like we so often do as Christians. As I said in the last post, he first got to know them on a personal level, and then sent them instructional criticism. It's like that classic step-father --> son relationship on TV where the phrase "You're not my dad! You can't tell me what to do!" is so common.

If you try to correct someone for something they're doing without first getting to know that person, your argument might as well be about the flying spaghetti monster. It holds no water if you haven't first loved the person. Now, on to what he is talking about.

He isn't outright condemning the people to whom he is writing. He is speaking in general about the "wicked people of the past" who God wrathed upon. He mentions and then condemns homosexuality in this way:
26Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
My argument for homosexuality not being a sin has been "God made them that way - how could it be a sin?" But here we see evidence that God did indeed make them that way, but as punishment for mankind's wickedness. So because of people turning against God, he went and made it even harder for certain people by giving them a desire that can not be controlled, just like I can't control my desire to have heterosexual relations with my wife. (hey now)

But then again, people lust after other people than their spouses, but avoiding acting upon that is the key. So then by the same token, should gays have to avoid sex all together because they want to have it with someone of the same gender? I don't think that's fair.

On a related note, there are now scientific studies that say that many serial murderers have something wrong with their brain that turns off the part that feels remorse, or the part that judges right and wrong, and that this was an inherent condition within their brains. Now God made these people this way, right? Is this the same idea of God "giving them over" to evil and dark desires? Why on earth would God want to put people in a position like that? It's masochistic.

Ugh - this is the kind of thing that really shakes the old faith.



Psalm 10:1-15

 1 [a]Why, O LORD, do you stand far off?
       Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?

This is a question that is so common these days with constant natural disasters and murders and terror attacks. Where is God? It's at least somewhat comforting to know that this question was being asked thousands of years ago as well. Then again, its a little discomforting too...has he been absent this entire time? Has he been there at all? What is he waiting for?

Proverbs 19:6-7

More incentive to be rich...

 6 Many curry favor with a ruler,
       and everyone is the friend of a man who gives gifts.
 7 A poor man is shunned by all his relatives—
       how much more do his friends avoid him!
       Though he pursues them with pleading,
       they are nowhere to be found.

Maybe God does want me to have a Farrari and tons of cash. 

7 comments:

  1. Re: Romans 1:18-32

    Or why would God make non-believers such as myself? Ultimately I think this depends on what kind of God you are talking about. I am assuming the traditional philosopher's God. However, if you take away the omniscience and omnipotence, then free will is possible and I can be responsible for not believing and going to hell. God would also be off the hook for Haiti, WW2, and the Spanish Inquisition. I feel like these are the qualities that make God Godlike though. If God is not all knowing and powerful, then He is fallible. What would that make the psychopaths, mass murders, and tyrants of the world? God's mistakes? Or you might say they be our mistakes. For the sake of discussion, let's say that God is moderately all knowing/powerful. Somewhere between man and the philosopher's God. Wouldn't that at minimum make Him more responsible then man for evil/suffering? Anyway, I loved the FSM reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Philosopher's God is all powerful and all knowing. The Christian's God is one who suffers and dies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fyi, There's a site called "I Write Like" where you can put any text in the input field, and it tells you what writer you write like.

    I put in this post, and it told me you write like James Joyce.

    Oh man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://iwl.me/ is the site

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I just don't find this answer compelling at all. You want to have it both ways. Jesus is a humanized version of God who dies and suffers for us. This is important because he essentially goes through our struggle on earth as humans which allows us to connect to him. He experiences evil and suffering just like us and dies just like us... EXCEPT that he survived death. Unlike us, he was born of a virgin. Unlike us, he performed miracles. I think the more human you make God/Jesus, the easier it is to feel the connection. It just sounds weird to me when the necessary magical elements like souls, heaven/hell, and resurrections are down played. If you don't have a soul, what survives after your body dies? That seems to be a deal breaker for any religion. I have never heard a good explanation of what a soul or God is, or an answer to the problem of evil. The whole business just doesn't make sense to me at all. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I think these are legitimate questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete, you do ask legitimate questions, but (and I say this with respect to your questions) they are kinda all over the place.

    Jesus did not survive death. He died. Cold. His heart stopped beating, his brain shut down, his body started to rot. He was dead, after hours of excruciating torture. He was not reborn, but raised from the dead, resurrected, to new life. Life, true life for all of humanity only became possible when Jesus died, for his death and glorious resurrection sealed the defeat of death in the world. I know this sounds like mumbo jumbo, but I believed it to be true.


    The thing that I find so compelling, and a key reason as to why I am a Christian, is that Jesus of Nazereth was both fully human and fully God. In the person of Jesus, God, unexpectedly and in truth scandalously became human. My God, Lord of Heaven and Earth, became a man like me. Why the heck would God ever do that? Because of love.

    I don't think that by stating that the God I worship chose to suffer and die that I downplay any miracles, virgin birth, heaven/hell, etc. All that is important yes, but it pales in importance to Jesus's death and resurrection.

    As to the problem of Good and Evil, I'll point you to the book of Job, chaps 1-12, 19, and 40-42.

    Again, you ask good questions, and what I seem to be getting a sense of is that you are really curious as to how Jesus can be both fully God and fully human. I can't easily answer that question, and I don't anyone ever truly can. But what I can do is point to a book that I think captures this Truth of Jesus very well-- http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Lord-Road-Anne-Rice/dp/1400078946/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

    I highly recommend it. Yea, I know it is by Anne Rice, but it is a beautifully written powerful book. Also, I really shouldn't be writing at 2:30 in the morning. It is hazardous to my health and Brandon's blog.

    ReplyDelete