This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Email to Westboro Baptist Church

So there's this church that you may have seen on the news and stuff called the Westboro Baptist Church. They are famous for picketing soldiers funerals and picketing with signs that say things like "God Hates Fags."

If you want to (Big If) check out their website, and actually type in these words, the address is www.godhatesfags.com

Obviously, I disagree with the title of their website, and their message in general. I don't believe that a God who died for the world could hate anything in it besides sin, so I decided to send them an email. Now with the full knowledge that they likely get thousands of pieces of hate mail every day, I took the nice guy approach, so I'm not immediately blown off. Here is my letter to them, which is based on the reading we just looked at in Romans:

Hey there,

Please don't let this come across as an attack, but I was just reading Romans and came across this verse - Romans 2:1

 1 You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things.

By definition, aren't we all sinners? No man or woman is free from the bonds of sin, right? If we aren't all sinful by nature then why did Christ die?

Again, not an attack, I'm just wondering what your response to that is.

Thank you for taking the time.
Brandon
Now I'm waiting for a response - if I get one, I'll be sure to let ya'll know about it. 

1 comment:

  1. I would agree to you on this. In the eyes of God everyone is equal and He loves us all, what He doesn't like is the sins that we commit. He wants us to walk on the path of truth, peace and mercy and attain salvation, but our deeds are going worse to worst in the opposite direction.

    ReplyDelete