This Week's Challenge

Hug somebody who needs it.

Reading from Monday, June 28

Tomorrow is my last day in my current job. On Thursday I start my new job doing video production and development, and I couldn't be more excited. I guess I could be more excited. If the new job came with an ice cream sundae I would be more excited than I am right now...or...if it came with a endless supply of chicken sandwiches...then I would be REALLY excited. But I guess, all realistic things considered, I'm pretty darn excited. Everyone say "excited."

Excited.

Reading for June 28
2 Kings 13:1-14:29
Look at this sentence:

1 In the second year of Jehoash [c] son of Jehoahaz king of Israel, Amaziah son of Joash king of Judah began to reign.
This is why I am having trouble following the events right now.  But I will do my best to summarize what I'm reading here...

Before I do though, check this out - apparently this is in Deuteronomy, but I didn't pick up on it when I read it...
"Fathers shall not be put to death for their children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his own sins."
Well ain't that a bowl of cherries? I don't think I used that expression correctly. Obviously you can see the hypocrisy of this law here. God's favorite way to punish people is by killing their children. It happened to David - multiple times, it happened to just about every king of Israel, actually. Why would he make this law and then so conspicuously break it over and over?

So, main points from this reading:
1) Elisha dies. Later someone else dies and his body is thrown on top of Elisha's body. As soon as their bodies make contact the other guy is brought back to life.
2) There is a war between Israel and Judah. I would imagine that would be like America and Canada fighting a war against each other.

That's pretty much it, yo.

Acts 18:23-19:12

Again, not a lot of story progression here outside of the religion and good news expanding further and further and getting larger and larger. Here's something funny though if you've ever seen those late night faith healer dudes like Peter Popoff and his magical prayer handkerchief...

11God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.
That must be where ole Peter Popoff gets his prayer handkerchiefs! From this massive pile of handkerchiefs that Paul went around touching all the time. Paul started this pyramid scheme 2000 years ago! 

Psalm 146:1-10

This is pretty neat:
 3 Do not put your trust in princes,
       in mortal men, who cannot save.
 4 When their spirit departs, they return to the ground;
       on that very day their plans come to nothing.
                                
Proverbs 18:2-3

 2 A fool finds no pleasure in understanding
       but delights in airing his own opinions.
 3 When wickedness comes, so does contempt,
       and with shame comes disgrace.

Yup yup.

I'ma go take a shower. I have the invisible bugs all over me from sweating all day...

1 comment:

  1. "Well ain't that a bowl of cherries? I don't think I used that expression correctly. Obviously you can see the hypocrisy of this law here. God's favorite way to punish people is by killing their children. It happened to David - multiple times, it happened to just about every king of Israel, actually. Why would he make this law and then so conspicuously break it over and over?"

    One of the things I hope to learn in seminary is have some understanding about all that kinda stuff... it's hard!

    ReplyDelete